Another major landowner in the district was John Oxley who was the N.S.W. Surveyor General.
His land stretched from today's Queen St., between the Western Highway and approximately
where the railway line is and east to Ropes Creek (Todays Oxley Park). Oxley lived at Camden
and was keen to sell his South Creek property. He died in 1828 while Phillip Parker King was
away at sea. When King returned he bought the Oxley property. Mrs Anna Josepha King chose the
highest part of this property for the site of the church and her son donated 2 acres of land
for this purpose. He chose the name of the church where he had married Harriet for the name
of the new church. The village of South Creek later became the township of St Marys (named
after the church). Mrs Anna Josepha King, Admiral Phillip Parker King, Harriet Lethbridge
King, Robert Lethbridge and Mary King Lethbridge abd dozens of their descendents are buried
in the graveyard behind the church. In 1988 the memorial tablet from Governor King's grave
in England was brought to St Marys and placed alonside those of his family.