St Marys & District Historical Society Inc - Quarterly Newsletter
Members with Mayor Thain at Jack Jewry Reserve in St Marys(Photo courtesy of Joan O'Brien)
Once again “Spring has Sprung” and we were at it again. Our Society participated in the annual St Mary’s Spring Festival (which was more like SUMMER at 27 degrees). Our theme this year was the 1806 land grant by Governor Philip Gidley King to his family (sites of “Dunheved” & “Werrington”) and our members were dressed in the costume of that period. This year, for the first time, we held a stall near Coachman’s Park to sell our publications and photos and the public took the time to look at our photographic display and discuss St Marys and the surrounding district with the members in attendance.
Philip Gidley King was born in Launceston, Cornwall in 1758. Like his predecessors, Governor’s Phillip and Hunter, he went to sea at an early age and saw active service against the King’s enemies. He arrived in Sydney with the First Fleet in January, 1788. After founding a settlement at Norfolk Island, he lived in England until appointed to succeed J ohn Hunter as Governor of New South Wales. King took over in September, 1800, and governed wisely and well until his return to England in 1807, where he died a year later in 1808. In 1988, his headstone was removed from the cemetery at Tooting in England and returned to Australia to be placed beside his wife, Anna Josepha King in the graveyard at St Mary Magdalene, St Marys, NSW - our “Little Churchyard on the Hill”.
Page No. 1
On Sunday 16th July, 2006, our members dressed in costume and held a stall at the Arms of Australia Inn at Emu Plains, at the annual Open Day held by the Nepean & District Historical Society.
Photo shows members, Lyn Forde, Norma & Tom Thorburn & Robyn Gorman (Photos courtesy of Lyn Forde)
23rd July, 2006 some of our members dressed in 1906 costumes (Lyn Forde, Rosemary Crupi, Joan O’Brien and Norma & Tom Thorburn) and attended the 100th Anniversary of the “Naming of Wallacia” festival on behalf of the Historical Society. 100 years ago the town was called “Wallace Town” after the Wallace family who lived in the district. The festival was very well supported by the public and a great day was had by all who attended.
The St Marys & District Historical Society meets every 4th Saturday at 1 pm - at the St Marys Arts &
Craft Centre 2 - 6 Mamre Road, St Marys. ALL WELCOME
This Newsletter is a free publication. Articles in this Newsletter may be republished if permission is given by the Society.
Norma Thorburn 9623-2307
Lyn Forde 9673-3506
(While care is taken to ensure that all articles are accurate, the opinions expressed in this newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society) Any comments on this Newsletter are encouraged
Page No 2
The very hot conditions at the Spring Festival held on Saturday the 2nd September, gave the members of our Society false hope that by the “Back to St Marys Reunion” on Sunday the 10th September, (this year for the first time organised by our Society) it would be just as hot, but it turned out to be ANYTHING BUT.
For the Society’s first year of taking over the Reunion in the park from Sue Adams and her family, we were most unlucky that the rain came down the day before and didn’t stop (but it did put a little in the dam). Our boards and the photos we had available for the day just couldn’t be erected, and Paul Mills had already gazetted the only wooden seats with some cover for his school records, and as some of the ex-students from the 50th Anniversary of St Marys High Reunion were going to arrive in Victoria Park, along with the Schofields Rural Fire Brigade who were putting on a BBQ, we had to decide to make some kind of effort, so our brave members, Lyn Forde, Carol Volkiene, Marie Koen, Norma & Tom Thorburn erected our tent (which was not waterproof), along with a few photos to give those brave enough to turn up at least something to look at and discuss the days of “old St Marys”.
We were grateful when the “firies” turned up with a tarpaulin big enough for shelter and the smell of steak, sausages and onions was worth the drenching. At least it kept those pesky magpies from swooping. We estimated that about 100 attended in the rain and as you can see by the photos below, everyone went home a little wetter and colder than they started out!
(Photos taken by Lyn Forde)
Page No. 3
Society put up a display in the foyer of the Band Club depicting 50 years of St Marys and the Band Club. Many of the club’s members, as well as the public showed an interest in the display with requests for photos and information on some items and photos. Our thanks goes to Norma Thorburn, Carol Volkiene and Lyn Forde who gathered the information and set up the display at the end of July.
HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY
Members Joan O’Brien, Lyn Forde, Margaret Dwyer, Norma Thorburn & Deputy Mayor Jackie Greenow cut the cake to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the St Marys & District Historical Society in September. (Photo taken by Tom Thorburn)
Patron: Sister Mary Louise Petro (voted in for a second term)
President: Norma Thorburn remains as President for another year
Vice President 1: Lyn Forde - Vice President 2: Marie Koen
Secretary: Carol Volkiene - Treasurer: - Joan O’Brien - remains as Treasurer for another year.
Research Officer 1: Lyn Forde - Research Officer 2: Carol Volkiene
Editor & Publisher of “Tribute”: Lyn Forde - Penrith Heritage Committee Rep: Lyn Forde
Web Master: Tom Thorburn - Wardrobe Mistress: Marion McLeod - Librarian: Robyn Gorman
PLEASE, DON’T THROW OUT AUSTRALIAN HISTORY. OLD PHOTOGRAPHS, BOOKS, LETTERS, RECEIPTS, DOCKETS, NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES. IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Editor & Publisher: Lyn Forde
Page No. 4