TRIBUTE

Spring 2007 FREE PUBLICATION
St Marys & District Historical Society Inc - Quarterly Newsletter

PO Box 640, ST MARYS NSW 1790

A VISIT TO LINNWOOD HOUSE BY OUR MEMBERS

A wonderful day was enjoyed by our members who attended the “Cavalcade of Fashion” exhibition of women’s clothing between the war years of 1918 – 1940. The exhibition was held at Linnwood House at Guildford on the 29th July, 2007.

(Photos taken by Lyn Forde)

Page No. 1

THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE "STUDIO" BUILDING AT ST MARY'S PRECINCT

Members attended the opening of the "Studio" (formally known as the CWA - Baby Health Centre Building) on Mamre Rd, St Marys on the 3rd September, 2007. The Mayor Pat Sheehy opened the new renovated building on behalf of Penrith Council.

ANNUAL "BACK TO ST MARYS" IN VICTORIA PARK

Our Society hosted the "Back to St Marys" reunion in Victoria Park on Sunday, 9th September, 2007 with several boards of photos of St Marys owned by the Historical Society and loaned by Sue Adams. The day held a promise of rain but the gods were with us as the sky was black but only sprinkles. About 100 people visited throughout the day and thanks to members, Carol Volkiene, Ernie Evans (& son), Norma & Tom Thorburn, Lyn Forde, Joan O'Brien & Tracy Watkins it all went well. Next year's reunion will be held at our Historical Society headquarters in the "Chambers" (formally the Arts Centre) at the St Mary's Precinct on Mamre Rd.

Page No. 2

ST MARYS SPRING FESTIVAL 1st September, 2007

Once again our members participated in costume in the festival parade. This year the theme was the first bales of wool shipped to England from Australia that came from Reverend Samuel Marsden's farm "Mamre" at South Creek/St Marys 200 years ago.

The Society also had a stall with a display of St Mary's photos which created much interest from the public.
(Photos taken by members Lyn Forde, Carol Volkiene & Rosemary Crupi)

Page No. 3

TOUR OF ST MARY MAGDALENE CHURCHYARD

Our Society also participated in the St Mary's part of the Blacktown City Council tour of four historical churchyards - being, St Johns at Parramatta, Western Rd, (Mays Hill Cemetery), St Bartholomew's at Prospect and St Mary Magdalene. Our tour guide for St Mary Magdalene was our President, Norma Thorburn, who gave those attending, a tour and lecture on some of the people buried in our churchyard on the hill. The tour called "Adding body to our Past" was held on Sunday 16th September, 2007 and thanks to members Margaret Dwyer, Carol Volkiene and Lyn Forde who made afternoon tea and held a stall on behalf of the Society. The Society also wishes to thank Reverend David Clark for opening the church hall on the day.

-oOo-

The St Marys & District Historical Society meets every 4th Saturday at 1.15 pm
(except December & January) at "The Chambers" (Old Council Chambers) 2 - 6 Mamre Road, ST MARYS.
(entry from carpark side)

ALL WELCOME

Website - www.stmaryshistoricalsociety.org

This Newsletter is a free publication. Articles in this Newsletter may be republished if permission is given by the Society.

Please contact:-

President

Vice President

Norma Thorburn 9623-2307

Lyn Forde 9673-3506

normathorburn@tpg.com.au

lynforde@yahoo.com.au

(While care is taken to ensure that all articles are accurate, the opinions expressed in this newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society)
Any comments on this Newsletter are encouraged

PLEASE, DON’T THROW OUT AUSTRALIAN HISTORY. OLD PHOTOGRAPHS, BOOKS, LETTERS, RECEIPTS, DOCKETS, NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES.
IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Editor & Publisher: Lyn Forde

Page No. 4