This photo was on the front page of the 25th Anniversary edition of the Standard.
Scanner could not scan whole page.
The building in the background at the top is The Rooty Hill R.S.L. Club.
St Marys came into being when the first land grants were made at South Creek in 1804. Those who took up these grants have become part of Australian history.
There was Samuel Marsden, of Mamre. There was the extended family of Governor King, of Dunheved, Tregeare and Werrington House. Gregory Blaxland took up Leehome and John Oxley was at Bathurst Farm (now Oxley Park).
John Oxley was appointed Surveyor-General of NSW in 1812.
The daughter of Governor Bligh, Mary Putland. was given Frogmore and later Coalee was added to her grant as a wedding present when she married Lieutenant Maurice O'Connell.
The crossing of the Blue Mountains began at St Marys, still known then as South Creek, when Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Charles
Wentworth set out from Blaxland's farm in 1813.
The name St Marys came when Phillip Parker King, the son of Governor King, bought John Oxley's grant after Oxley's death in 1828.
His mother begged him to set land aside for a church and he donated property for that purpose. In 1840 St Mary Magdalene Church, named after a church in Cornwall, was completed.
Shortly afterwards the O'Connell property at Frogmore and Coalee was subdivided and the land was advertised as being at St Marys, South Creek.
A portion of land was donated for public use - originally called O'Connell Square, it later became Victoria Park.
This first subdivision brought industry to the area. Water in South Creek and tannin in the wattle trees attracted a tannery. The ironbark timber attracted wheelwrights and wagon-builders. The variety of local timbers attracted sawmillers and the clay in South Creek brought brickmakers.
So the story of St Marys evolved: the railway came in 1862; the public school opened in 1877; St Marys became the official name in 1885.
The next big step forward came with World War II. A munitions factory was built on part of the original King grant and people came from all over NSW to work there.
Back to Norma's Page
Back to Home Page